John M. Lemmon (1927 - 2008) - 'Old-fashioned' editor championed Evening Sun - April 11, 2008

Photo: Washington Post

John "Jack" Lemmon began a distinguished newspaper career at the Washington Star.



In this photo from 1985, The Evening Sun's Ray Jenkins (left), publisher Reg Murphy and managing editor John "Jack" Lemmon cut the paper's 75th birthday cake.
John M. "Jack" Lemmon, a veteran newspaperman who was the managing editor of The Evening Sun from 1979 to 1991, died of a heart attack yesterday morning at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. The longtime Towson resident was 80.
"When I got out of the Navy in 1956, I went back to newspapers. I went to The Washington Star. I had been there as a part-time copy reader in 1955 and 1956, and was now full time," Mr. Lemmon told Mr. Imhoff. "I was at the Star about 11 years and was head of the copy desk when I left."


Baltimore Sun Obit
Washington Post Obit
US Naval Academy Alumni Association and Foundation Obit

Attribution: Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, USNA

No comments:

Post a Comment